Let us first understand what is hair fall and hair loss. It is essential for a person to know whether they are shedding hair or losing it.
We have all heard of Keratin and there are various therapies and products which promote Keratin boost. Let us understand the role of Keratin in hair and why is it so important. Hair is made up of a protein called keratin that is produced in hair follicles in the outer layer of skin. As follicles produce new hair cells, old cells are being pushed out through the surface of the skin at the rate of about six inches a year. The hair you can see is actually a string of dead keratin cells. The average adult head has about 100,000 to 150,000 hairs and loses up to 100 of them a day; finding a few stray hairs on your hairbrush is not necessarily cause for alarm. So, this is called Hair fall/ Hair shedding.
At any one time, about 90% of the hair on a person’s scalp is growing. Each follicle has its own life cycle that can be influenced by age, disease, and a wide variety of other factors
The common factors which lead to hair fall are:
- Excessive weight loss
- Post pregnancy
- High level of stress
- Any surgical procedure
- After stopping birth control pills
If you are facing any of the above-mentioned factors then relax you are not losing hair it is just normal hair fall which can be bought totally under control.
So, if hair fall means shedding of 50-100 hairs regularly then what does hair loss mean?
Hair loss, also called alopecia, is a disorder caused by an interruption in the body’s cycle of hair production. On average, the scalp has 100,000 hairs that cycle through periods of growing, resting, falling out, and regenerating.
A hair growth cycle consists of three phases.
- Anagen — active hair growth that lasts between two to six years
- Catagen — transitional hair growth that lasts two to three weeks
- Telogen — resting phase that lasts about two to three months; at the end of the resting phase the hair is shed and a new hair replaces it and the growing cycle starts again.
As people age, their rate of hair growth slows.
If this cycle is disrupted, or if a hair follicle is damaged, hair may begin to fall out more quickly than it is regenerated, leading to symptoms such as a receding hairline, hair falling out in patches, or overall thinning. Unlike hair fall, hair loss occurs when something stops hairs from growing back.
Hence, it is important for one to know the difference between hair fall and hair loss to understand the treatments.
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy is a non-surgical therapeutic option for hair restoration. Using dermaroller, mesogun or insulin syringe, microholes are created over the scalp and platelet-rich plasma is instilled into the deeper layers of the scalp which stimulate the existing hair follicles and promote the new hair growth. You can expect new hair growth along your existing hairline and improved density, health and texture of your pre-existing hair.
Available brands in the market are:
- Endoret ( PRGF) New PRP
- Regenlab PRP
- iGrow was one of the first home use laser device approved by US FDA. This is based on LLLT technology (Low Level Laser Therapy)
- iHelmet – a newer US FDA approved high power diode laser is now available in India for clinic and home use With combination of LLLT and Fractional laser, we have seen great results of hair-regrowth especially with clients who are in the first stage of hair fall.
Bio Cell Cytokines Hair therapy
•It is a non-surgical method of treating hair loss and hair restoration. It helps in stimulating and regrowing hair follicles using Ginseng root extract.